Note that this list is pretty Mac-centric, but I’m sure you can find Windows alternatives with some clever Googling.
- Sublime Text 3 – the best text editor ever
- Chrome – preferred browser
- Transmit – for FTP
- MAMP – a server for your local computer (this will make sense later!)
- Spectacle – move windows around with keyboard shortcuts
- Sip – the cutest color picker
- Pocket – for bookmarking links
- Evernote – for notes
- Panda – very pretty Chrome home page with feeds from Designer News and Dribbble
- Alfred – for quickly opening applications on your computer
- Little Ipsum – Latin text generator
- 1Password – password management ($60 but totally worth it)
Subscribe to these:
- Sidebar.io – daily email list with excellent design and dev links, it’s awesome
- CSS Weekly – weekly list of CSS and front-end dev resources, articles, and tips
- Smashing Newsletter – monthly a roundup of Smashing Mag. articles and much more!
- Lara’s Newsletter – if you want to! I announce workshops and send out helpful links every now and then.
Sites to follow:
- A List Apart – THE web design publication
- CSS-Tricks – trips and tricks for writing CSS and other front-end. Very well written tutorials and code snippets
- Smashing Magazine – fantastic magazine with tutorials, viewpoints, you name it!
- Lara’s Delicious Feed – basically my compilation of various findings from the rest of this list
- Build Your Own Website – Comic guide to HTML, CSS, and WordPress (by my friend Nate Cooper!)
- HTML & CSS – beautiful book and a great guide
- A Book Apart – buy all of them!
Free web design stuff:
- The Stocks – collection of free stock photo websites
- Subtle Patterns – Lots of pretty and …wait for it… subtle patterns for backgrounds and whatnot.
- Icomoon – icons!
- Unheap – collection of jQuery plugins
- Adobe Kuler – nice color scheme designer
- Design Patters on CodePen – nice copy/paste bits of code for common elements .
- Jessica Hische Resources – she’s so awesome
- webdesign repo – oh my word, so many links!
- Web Design Subreddit
- Designer News – pretty much the go-to for the latest and greatest